Review: Nineteen Eighty Four

Sunday, April 20, 2014

 

Now this isn't really a review. I've been too outside of academic circles for far too long to believe that I'm still capable of writing a decent review. Synopsis and analysis was what I studied. I don't really remember taking any comparative lit *searching thru transcript*, nope never did. Well okay, I did do comparisons when it came to writing essays, but nothing formally. This is more...what I felt and thought after reading this classic.

And classic it is. The edition I read is the Penguin 1984 (hahaha). Upon finishing the book, I was struck by how...not happy sappy the ending was, a change from regular popular fare. Happiness, as defined by conventional terms, has been crushed. All that was left was Big Brother's triumph and perpetuating the cult of power. Power which was manifested in complete control over another, over perception of reality. Institutionalized solipsism. Which of course leads one to examine if such events, such dulling of humanity could be achieved. Forces one to consider recent world events.

Do statements such as "We do not merely destroy our enemies, we change them"(218)

Goldstein is most likely a created threat, an outlet to ensnare those who disbelieve in Big Brother. The agency gives its enemy power b/c it creates a purpose for the agency and a target for hate for its followers. I was watching the Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart and the guest was Reza Aslan, and he mentioned how Al-Qaeda is attributed more influence and power than it actually posseses. While I'm hardly suggesting that Al-Qaeda, Taliban, Osama bin Laden or any other terrorists organizations are fictional groups created by governments to prop up their military-industrial expenditures, flagrant disregard for human rights and laws, or popularity ratings; there is no doubt that everyone feels better when there's an enemy to blame for failings, a villain to curse. And it's less shameful for a govt to explain that they can't catch a criminal b/c the murderer has an enormous network of associates and safehouses, not b/c it's inefficient and can't collaborate its depts and data.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So going back into my account, I found this draft, not sure what the date was on it. As always, not quite sure what I was going for, particularly that 3rd paragraph. And of course, we've caught & killed Osama bin Ladin by now. Anyhoo, publish it as is!

0 comments: