Summerslam

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

 

Yup, I saw Summerslam. Basically J suggested it that day, so we went to see it after doing our usual Sunday shopping. The best match was the Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio, not just for the work and bumps they took, but there was also a good emotional impact. For all the weeks leading up to the Summerslam, and they were trying to build it up, I was just rolling my eyes, and really not paying attention to the trash talk. But their ring performance did more to illustrate and tell the pain of losing a child than all their speeches could. Benoit winning the match that quick was really wierd. I don't think that was supposed to happen. But at least Benoit has a title.

HBK really is one of the best workers out there. He was selling Hogan so much, Hogan only had to lift his foot, and HBK would fly into it. I really don't think the crowd gave HBK the props they should've for all the work he did. HBK was always one of my favourite wrestlers. Ever since the Rockers hit the WWF, I've had a thing for him. When he first turned heel, kicking Marty Jannetty into the glass on Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake's show, I was really upset and mad at him. And I was confused about the whole sexual innuendo with Scary Sherri. (What can I say, I was an innocent in a lot of things) And for a year I drifted away from the WWE. But I saw when they created DX and that was sooooo awesome. For me, that's when you actually saw the people behind the personas and people were allowed to be themselves, instead of some caricature. Course I was super sad when he retired, and elated when he returned. I'd hoped they'd pick up the HBK-HHH relationship, but alas. I'm not sure why he became a born-again Christian, I don't think the Playgirl spread was anything to be ashamed of. (Yes, I do have that issue. Actually my only issue of Playgirl) I'm not any religion except "not Christian"(kudos to D for coming up w/ that) so Shawn bringing that into his wrestling really wigs me out. I understand Chris Jericho is also of the same persuasion, but I don't remember seeing that huge of an emphasis by him like HBK does.

Anyways as for Batista powerbombing JBL into the stairs. Wow, JBL sure takes a lotta bumps.

0 comments: